Mentorship Is the Key to Your Insurance Sales Success
Share this episode on:
In today’s episode of Agent’s Influence podcast, host Jason Cass interviews Mark Evans, founder of Standard Sales Co. Evans discusses how he became involved in sales and how a key mentor helped him see his own potential. This conversation also explores the importance of following up and bright opportunities for agents today.
- Evans is an iPhone user and loves to win, although he loves the lessons he takes from losing.
- They discuss apps Evan has downloaded recently and talk about how their preferred speeds for listening to podcasts.
- Lots of luck helped Evans get to where he is today, including family members and mentors.
- Cass recounts a trip to Chicago. He describes seeing the skyscrapers and compares their foundations to human relationships.
- Evans took inspiration from how his parents ran their small printing business. They were examples of people who were happy while pursuing their own dreams.
- Both men discuss key moments with their respective mentors who exposed them to professional development tools.
- Cass describes his current approach to mentoring a young employee.
- Cass emphasizes reaching out to people you admire and want to associate with when seeking a mentor.
- Confidence and enthusiasm are big weapons in sales.
- The best way to harness confidence is to know your trade. Know your products and know your clients.
- Your clients will dictate the product.
- The core service Evans provides is helping CEOs create professional sales teams.
- It’s very important to follow up with leads and to establish a clear communication cadence.
- There are many opportunities for people who simply follow up.
- The future for insurance agents is bright.
- Mainly people fail at sales because they’re not given enough time with the person they are trying to emulate.
- How can peer groups be leveraged in the insurance industry?
- Cass warns about some of the pitfalls of free advice sharing online.
- Training companies will always exist because few people actually implement the information. It’s not about the information, it’s about the execution.
- Evans recommend professional development books.
3 Key Points:
- Finding a good mentor can dramatically affect the trajectory of your career.
- Enthusiasm is a superpower in sales.
- Always followup with your leads and do so consistently.
- “Mentors can be the difference between a mediocre career in life and an extraordinary one.” – Mark Evans.
- “You will either have to prepare or you will have to repair.” – John C. Maxwell.
- “Confidence and enthusiasm begets confidence and enthusiasm.” – Mark Evans.
- “The money is in the follow-up.” -Mark Evans.
- “It’s not the information, it’s the transformation.” -Mark Evans.
- Freedom (app)
- Overcast (app)
- The Tao of Seneca (book)
- The Jocko podcast
- Hamilton the musical
- Insurance Agency Owner’s Alliance
- Discourses by Epictetus (book)
- The Perfect Day Formula (book)
- Ready, Fire, Aim (book)
- Mark Evans on LinkedIn