Insurance Commercials Are Misleading the Client and Their Expectations
Share this episode on:
In today’s episode of Agents Influence podcast, Jason Cass chats with Ed Higgins, owner of Thousand Islands Insurance Agency. Ed Higgins has been working on a plan to alert state regulators to the fact that online and TV insurance commercials are misleading and are not a true representation of the policies they are selling. . Higgins, agent since 1974, who has been on the cutting edge of technology for decades, also talks about agents need to do to provide more value and a better experience to customers than the primary providers.
- Who is Ed Higgins?
- He’s an Android user.
- Firm believer in hard work, customer focus and technology contributing to success.
- He believes in winning.
- Why adding value is so important.
- The business is a valuable contribution to the economic framework.
- It’s important to be an active part of the claims process.
- What Ed is working on before he retires.
- There is a growing premise that all insurance is the same and you should just find the cheapest option.
- Agents need to work strongly with the insurance providers to provide them with a better experience.
- Consumers don’t understand enough about coverage, they’re just focused on price.
- The consumer is not being protected by regulators.
- How to develop insurance programs for people.
- We need to change as the world changes, but people will always need individual counseling on their insurance needs.
- We are asking for several things
- A disclosure that says that all policies are not the same and warns the consumer.
- It’s important that the full disclosure details of your coverage should be disclosed.
- Regulators should put policies online so consumers can view them and compare/contrast.
- How to understand your competitor.
- Try to understand what they do, find out how to create value to compete.
- The analysis resource that will soon be available to agencies.
- Not only are people not being educated, but they’re also being deceived.
3 Key Points:
- The value of the client is more important than the value of you.
- Agents need to work directly with insurance providers to provide their customers with a better experience.
- Contact every thought leader you know with a hand in the industry to sign on and endorse the document that’s trying to get things done.
- “You have to take the time to explain things to a new client, that’s where technology becomes important.” – Ed Higgins
- “A quality insurance program is not a soundbite.” – Ed Higgins
- “As the world changes, we need to change with it.” – Ed Higgins
- Contact Ed Higgins at Ed@TIAgency.com or on his cell at 315-783-0651
- Ask Bill a question by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org
Jason Cass is a thought leader, speaker, agency owner and champion for the independent insurance industry. He is the founder of Agency Intelligence (AI), a place where insurance agents and agency owners can connect, share knowledge and work together to improve their agencies and move the industry forward.
Jason hosts two major insurance podcast series, Agent’s Influence and Agency Intelligence where he talks with those that influence the insurance industry and connects with independent insurance agents all over the country. He is also the author of the Amazon Bestselling book, Customer Service is Just Foreplay, and is working on his second book titled, The Great Separator.